The O'Chiese Justice Department
GAH-KI-KEENG-KAO-KAMIK (GUIDING HEALING PLACE)
Welcome New Staff: Nancy Whitehorse, Elders Liaison. Nancy is fluent in Saulteaux and has recently moved to O’Chiese. Come meet her at our next meeting!
The Justice Department is starting a 3 year pilot project starting in September 2019 to have the Justice Elders as part of the sentencing on the O’Chiese Nation.
Elders requested a Justice Department to:
- Reduce Crime
- Increase Safety
- Improve access to legal information
- Restoration of Traditional Saulteaux Laws within O’Chiese
- Re-established to put together traditional laws, promote a healthier, safer community and to knowledge share
- Meets weekly on Mondays at 10am lunch is provided
- Elders attend Legal Awareness Workshops
- Currently 4 Workshops held: FASD Awareness, RCMP Information, Knowing your Rights, T’suu T’ina Peacemakers
- November 4-Introduction to Restorative Justice
- More workshops being planned: traffic violations, what to expect in court, addictions and the law etc.
- Working with Provincial Court Judges and Court Administration to hold Provincial Criminal Court at O’Chiese
- Will ease member concerns with travelling to Rocky Mountain House or other courts and reduces new charges
- Peacemaking program exploration
- Traditional law revitalization
- Knowledge sharing
- Legal rights workshops
- Safer communities
- Provincial law facilities being negotiated at the Minister’s level
- More resource partnerships
- Expanding legal resource library
- Hub committee (Triage of complex files)
- Community events
Court Coordinator: Celisity Thomas
Elder Liaison: Nancy Whitehorse
Program Developer: Corrinne Bell
Please fill out a survey on Justice there is one for Youth, Adults and Elders.